August 8, 2020 - Costa Crociere is hoping for the cruise ports to open soon. In order to be prepared for the resumption of ship operations, the cruise line together witha package of measures for independent health expertsdesigned to protect guests and crew members.
As soon as the final approvals to resume ship operations in the respective destination countries have been received, a new health and hygiene protocol will be introduced and implemented on board the Costa cruise ships. The measures protect the crew and passengers. For the foreseeable future, the stay on board the cruise ships is likely to be different than before the outbreak of COVID-19.
Costa Pacifica in Bridgetown / Barbados
Safety measures for the crew
- Crew members are examined in their countries of origin. Two swab samples are taken to determine suspected COVID-19 cases.
- On arrival in Italy, crew members are tested a third time;
- Crew members with negative results go into a 14-day "quarantine" on board.
- The health of all crew members is monitored with daily temperature controls and monthly swab samples.
Security measures for guests
- Updated online check-ins, which can be carried out from home, and mandatory self-assessment of health are required from passengers.
- Ship guests have to be prepared for staggered boarding times and health checks with temperature measurements. The tests are carried out at each entry and exit of the ship in all ports provided on the itinerary.
- On board, guests use electronic self-service devices to measure their temperature around the clock.
- Keeping a safe distance is clearly regulated in every cruise terminal. The same applies to trips ashore, for which small groups of people and staggered departures will apply in the future.
So far there is no clear statement about the regulations for individual shore leave.
Measures for life on board
- Reduction in the number of guests.
- Avoidance of public gatherings.
- Masks are required indoors; When staying outdoors, the regulations of the destination countries apply in all situations in which distance is not to be observed.
- Continuous cleaning and disinfection of the inner and outer decks of all ships.
- Additional disinfectant dispensers for the check-in area and on board.
- Equipping the ships' ventilation systems with new filters. The systems ensure a high filter efficiency of the fresh air from the outside and at the same time reduce the recirculation of the inside air to a minimum.
- Entertainment offers more shows for smaller groups of people throughout the day.
- Buffet restaurants will be closed. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served in the restaurants by crew members.
The example of the Norwegian Hurtigruten shows how important the development and implementation of hygiene and safety measures are on board cruise ships. The shipping company felt prepared for emergency situations and had to watch the virus spread on board the Roald Amundsen.